1. Which one of the following is provided by a data dictionary ?
(A) User data (B) Functional data
(C) Database structure data (D) Sorted data
2. Which one of the following is a direct benefit of databse normalization ?
(A) higher query processing efficiency (B) smaller number of tables
(C) reduced I/O for most queries (D) reduced data redundancy
3. What is the result of the following SQL statement ?
SELECT A.Employee_Name, B.Spouse_Name
FROM Employee A LEFT OUTER JOIN Spouse B
ON A. Employee_ID = B.Employee_ID
(A) A list of all employee’s names, including the name of their spouse if they have one
(B) A list of all employees that have spouses, with spouse names included in the list
(C) A list of employee’s spouses
(D) Two lists : One list of employees, the other of spouses.
4. The ability to modify the conceptual schema without causing any change to the application
program is known as :
(A) Physical data independence (B) Logical data independence
(C) External data independence (D) Static data
5. A field or a combination of fields that has a unique value is called :
(A) Secondary key (B) Foreign key
(C) Primary key (D) Alternate key
6. Relational operator that yields all values from all rows in a table is known as
(A) difference (B) product
(C) select (D) project
7. Referential integrity controls relationships between :
(A) attributes in a table (B) operations of an object
(C) instances of a class (D) tables in a database.
8. What will be suitable criteria that should be entered for a query to search for Employee
Names beginning with M ?
(A) Start with M (B) Like M
(C) Like ‘M?’ (D) Like ‘M*’
9. What rows will this select statement return ?
SELECT * FROM products WHERE ordernumber > = 1000
(A) All rows in the products table whose order number is greater than or equal to 1000
(B) All rows in the products table whose order number is less than or equal to 1000
(C) The first 1000 rows of the product table
(D) All rows in the products table whose order number is greater than 1000
10. A television broadcast is an example of ______transmission.
(A) Simplex (B) half-duplex
(C) full-duplex (D) automatic
11. ______ is the protocol suite for the Internet which we use presently :
(A) TCP/IP (B) NCP
(C) UNIX (D) ACM
12. _______ switching is well suited for voice communication while______ switching is better
suited for data and other non-voice communication.
(A) Message; circuit (B) Circuit; message
(C) Packet; circuit (D) Circuit; packet
1 C 2 D 3 A 4 B 5 C 6 X 7 D 8 X 9 A 10 A 11 A 12 D